Advanced Certificate for Senior Executives
2013 session: May 28 to June 28
“The combination of academic content and 'real life' knowledge that I got through the professors, other participants, and the very special MIT culture made ACSE an amazing experience that I would highly recommend to other entrepreneurs and executives.”
- Israeli/Japanese software entrepreneur
Offered to a select group of not more than 25 business leaders from around the world, The Advanced Certificate for Senior Executives (ACSE) is an intense, intimate, transformative learning experience designed to fit the time constraints of seasoned, mid-career executives.
Held on campus at MIT Sloan in Cambridge, Massachusetts, ACSE is an exceptional way to:
- Engage with MIT Sloan’s world class faculty around both their latest research and the “tried and true” in such areas as strategy, system dynamics, and innovation
- Make new, life-long connections with experienced business people from a wide variety of geographies
- Leverage multiple perspectives to advance an important business project away from day-to-day operating pressures
- Develop critical leadership and change management skills via individualized 360° feedback and coaching
- See new ideas emerging from the labs, centers, and businesses that are part of the MIT/Sloan/Cambridge “innovation cluster.”
“A holistic experience of the best concepts and faculty MIT Sloan can offer—plus practical advice for taking action.”
- Region Head, Pharmaceutical Firm
ACSE blends two weeks of custom learning with three weeks of MIT’s highly rated open enrollment courses. Custom components are designed to meet the needs of mature executives who lead international business units, large functional areas, or highly complex projects that touch many stakeholders and teams. Custom learning topics include: Innovation, Change Management, Crisis Management, Leadership, and IT Strategy.
In addition to classroom work, ACSE also includes:
- A leadership simulation in which teams of participants run a business
- 1-1 coaching around a rich set of behaviorally-based leadership assessments
- Dedicated time to scope and advance a significant project that is important to each participant’s business success.
- Visits to local companies and executives who are pioneering in new products, services, and sectors of the global economy
- 2 days of connection with returning ACSE graduates who gather on campus to be exposed to the latest research of MIT faculty, engage with outside speakers, and exchange insights with other executives.
- Inclusion in the MIT Sloan alumni directory
- An MIT Sloan email-for-life address
- Subscription to the MIT Sloan alumni enewsletter
The small size of this cohort of leaders encourages open sharing and building networks of on-going support and collaboration. Several alumni have pursued new, joint projects together.
"The high quality faculty and collective intelligence of the ACSE group is amazing. I came away with a much more concrete and actionable vision for making a deep change in my company as a result."
- Plant manager, International mining and agrochemical firm
Open Enrollment Programs
ACSE students will also participate in several of MIT Sloan’s highly-rated open enrollment programs. Through these courses, executives access multiple professors’ expertise and research in areas such as system dynamics, macroeconomics, globalization, and finance. ACSE students also connect with participants from all over the world in a wide variety of industrial sectors and draw on them for their projects and discussions. The open enrollment programs scheduled for the 2013 session of ACSE are:
- Understanding Global Markets: Macroeconomics for Executives
- Dynamics of Globalization
- Negotiation for Executives
- Building, Leading, and Sustaining the Innovative Organization or Strategic Marketing for the Technical Executive
- Understanding and Solving Complex Business Problems
- Supply Chain Strategy and Management
“My time in the ACSE program changed my perspective on what it takes to be a business leader in today’s global marketplace. The program's focus on group diversity, application, and real-life learning simulations anchored the learning and networking experience. I have been able to successfully apply what I learned back in my business. The ACSE program truly lives up to MIT's motto of 'mind and hand'.”
– Supply Chain Lead, global beverage company
At the close of the program schedule, ACSE participants will convene and learn with ACE/ACSE alumni, past participants of the International Management Program, and selected Sloan alumni. A themed agenda will bring together all of these friends of MIT Executive Education to reconnect on campus, learn, and share experiences. Past themes have focused on a particular geography such as China, or an integrative, strategic issue such as reverse innovation.
"The ACSE program brought a diverse group of senior executives from all over the world together during an intense five week course. The open environment, the exchange and application within the MIT network made the experience very valuable and created friendships that will last a lifetime."
– finance executive, U.S. biotechnology firm
ACSE is an intense and demanding experience. The best ACSE candidates are seasoned executives who carry significant leadership roles in their companies either as: general managers, leaders of functions or business lines, or who have direct responsibility for profit/loss. All the key elements of the ACSE experience – the professors, their content, the scope of the project work, 1-1 leadership coaching, simulations, etc. are designed specifically for executives with:
- 15-20 years of work experience, across several different functional and business lines
- A graduate degree
- Significant international exposure
- An urgent agenda for change
- Confident fluency in written and spoken English
Here's what one participant had to say about ACSE
Susan M. : Truly Inspirational!!! As a Sr. executive with 25 years of experience, two bachelor’s degrees, one in engineering and one in business, and having worked on my MBA 10 years ago, I really did not know what more I would learn from a 5 week course at MIT. The experience of ACSE was transformational for me. I entered the course as a caterpillar and emerged a butterfly! I learned so much and really appreciated MIT's combination of theory, backed by scientific evidence and then the opportunity to apply this in action learning setting. There was tremendous value in being able to collaborate with people from all over world, which in my experience fostered innovative thinking and an opportunity to learn on another level. I received value from every course I took and the overall experience of being able to reflect for probably the first time in my career.
For more information regarding the program structure, content, and learning experience, please review the Program Details.
Download the ACSE brochure.
2013 Sample Schedule
View the program schedule in calendar format. Please note that the schedule is subject to change.
$41,000 for five weeks. Accommodations, dinners, and weekend meals are not included. (Arrangements may be made to include accommodations, at an additional cost, if desired.)
- Subscribe to the ACSE email list
Stay up-to-date on the MIT Sloan Advanced Certificate for Senior Executives. Subscription provides prospective participants, human resource professionals, and potential sponsors with the latest news and information on the program.
- Subscribe now.
Applications for ACSE 2013 are now being accepted. Please complete the following steps in order to apply for ACSE:
- If you have not done so already, join the MySloan ExecEd community.
- Log in to your MySloan ExecEd account and complete your profile.
- Complete and submit the application form.
The application process is your opportunity to present your best case for admission for MIT Sloan's Advanced Certificate for Senior Executives. You must complete the online application and include a standard business résumé that clearly states the specific dates of your education and work experience.
For more information, please contact Court Chilton, Senior Lecturer:
+1 (617) 253-2212
AMP, long program, Advanced Management Program, IMP
And connect with others in our executive network to explore the value of leadership development from MIT Sloan Executive Education.