MIT Sloan Executive Education

innovation@work™ Blog

My MIT Sloan Executive Education experience

By MIT Sloan Executive Certificate holder Kiriti Rambhatla

Working for an international organization in Italy, my focus at work has always been on improving the process of innovation in product development. Before coming to MIT Sloan School of Management, I had already worked on building a tool to quantify the innovation process within a company.

However, I realized I needed a better conceptual understanding of strategy and innovation involved within any product development across various industries. I wasn’t even sure if such courses in strategy and innovation were offered. I was already exploring the PhD option at Sloan when I came across the MIT Sloan Executive Education certificate program in Strategy and Innovation. I determined that the courses were tailor made for the issues I was focusing on at my place of work, ranging from innovation, strategy, and developing a successful product to understanding the dynamics of globalization and macroeconomics.

What really helped me during the courses I selected were the case studies we worked on, taken from real-world organizations. This helped me understand the problems other industries were facing and how their strategy and innovation processes worked. What was of even greater help was the participant pool that came from organizations like Airbus, Boeing, P&G, Lockheed Martin, and other government organizations from across the globe.

The course I enjoyed the most was Dynamics of Globalization. The course explored the complex environment of macroeconomics and how supply chains would be affected in the future. I used some of the models from the course at my organization upon completion of the program. We were also provided with very useful material from professors along with books written by them. One book I still refer to today is Clockspeed: Winning Industry Control in the Age of Temporary Advantage by Professor Charles Fine.

The class trip to the MIT Media lab was memorable. I have been following some of the work being done at the media lab in the field of design and meeting students at the lab was thoroughly informative. Professionally, the experience helped me perform better during situations in my profession. Personally, it was an enriching experience interacting with the participants who brought in a wealth of experience from various industries and organizations around the world.

The content of the courses, the caliber of the participants, and the world-renowned teaching staff made it a very worthy experience.

Kiriti Rambhatla has an executive certificate in Strategy and Innovation from MIT Sloan.